The fact it appeared on World News Daily should have been a hint, as was its coverage on UK-based websites. But when the Mandarin reported to the Czar that Fox News was covering the story incorrectly, well, the Czar needed to set the record straight.
Story is that the Boy Scouts need to supply condoms to scouts at their next big camping meeting because, as you know, girls are joining the organization now, and boys and girls often, you know, get together and…you know.
Nearly all of this is false. And what’s left is merely incorrectly reported.
Here’s what happened, and the Czar expects you to follow this carefully:
- Every four years, the “World Organization of the Scout Movement” hosts an event called a World Scout Jamboree. Scouts from 169 countries attend, wherever it is held.
- This organization is based in Malaysia, with legal headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and is not the Boy Scouts of America, based here in the United States.
- West Virginia was chosen as the location of the 2019 Jamboree by the WOSM. The United States has not hosted this event since 1967.
- The Boy Scouts of America was naturally invited to participate in the event as the host country’s premiere scouting organization.
- The Girl Scouts of America were also invited, as this is not a BSA-only event. Not even close.
- American boy scouts, as well as its small number of female members, are not required to participate in the World Scout Jamboree. In fact, only a very small percentage of American scouts will be attending.
- The World Organization of the Scout Movement has made it official policy that the central first-aid location at the event make condoms available to participants. This became official policy in 2002; it was unofficial policy since 1992.
- The Boy Scouts of America do not condone the inclusion of condoms, and is not supplying them to anyone: the WOSM is supplying them, if requested. The BSA was, however, reminded that condoms are available to its members, male and female, as well.
- This “outrage” has been circulating on the Internet for some time, and comes up every four years. Attention is higher than ever since the United States will be hosting the event.
The Czar has been reading on social media that many Americans are disappointed in the BSA, are dropping memberships, or stepping down as volunteers. You are basing these decisions on bullshit, raised by a news media perpetually intent on destroying scouting. Don’t feed the media: you can fairly safely wager that 90% of the time there is a negative story about scouts, it’s being intentionally misreported.
Disclosure: the Czar serves as an “ad hoc” consultant to a local troop, and seems stunningly better informed than many of the leaders announcing they will resign over this. Dudes, it takes 10 seconds to fact-check this crap. Try it.