Scattered thoughts on yesterday’s election results:
- Scott Walker is a bona fide leader who gets it done. Each time he wins, he does so by bigger numbers. Wisconsin is sold on him, and let’s face it: he enjoys bigger support outside unionized, Democratic Wisconsin. Win or lose last night, the Czar really thinks he would be a Reaganite president in terms of communicating and salesmanship. He actually makes Conservative ideas look good to everyday people. Perhaps he can be a Coolidge-level president.
- Illinois voters aren’t as dumb as the Czar feared. Yes, Quinn got far more votes than he deserved for his incompetence, but the governor’s tantrum last night shows he’s not fit to lead. Screaming that not all votes are counted, that the election was rigged by money (all vote rigging allegations, so far, have incidentally been in his favor), and that Illinois is doooomed under Governor Bruce Rauner was pathetic. Seriously: Blagojevich went out with more class. Quinn, by the by, should be happy: he’s the first Illinois governor leaving office since Jim Edgar not wearing handcuffs.
- There are a lot of Democratic business owners quietly pleased with the results of the election.
- Gloating over victory is unpleasant, but the Czar gives dispensation to all of you who desire it. We listened to the in-your-face crap from the President on down for how many years now. Once again, liberals will be horrified at the precedent they set. But remember: this isn’t so much a celebration that Republicans can win again, but a sad, sober jab about how horrible the Democrats have proven themselves at basic leadership skills.
- Congratulations to Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maryland. Maine, too! Your governors are all Republican. Color the Czar surprised: both he and GorT expected far fewer red states last night than we saw. And a tentative congratulations to Alaska: it looks as if their Senator will be Republican as well as Sullivan creeps ahead of Begich by a little bit. Kentucky and Louisiana are basically tied and we probably won’t know for days.
- Fireworks in Muscovy last night: when FoxNews announced the Republicans won the Senate, there were reports, M-80s, bottle rockets and more launched all over our village. When local news announced Bruce Rauner had won, probably double the firepower went off.
Божію Поспѣшествующею Милостію Мы, Дима Грозный Императоръ и Самодержецъ Всероссiйскiй, цѣсарь Московскiй. The Czar was born in the steppes of Russia in 1267, and was cheated out of total control of all Russia upon the death of Boris Mikhailovich, who replaced Alexander Yaroslav Nevsky in 1263. However, in 1283, our Czar was passed over due to a clerical error and the rule of all Russia went to his second cousin Daniil (Даниил Александрович), whom Czar still resents. As a half-hearted apology, the Czar was awarded control over Muscovy, inconveniently located 5,000 miles away just outside Chicago. He now spends his time seething about this and writing about other stuff that bothers him.