In April, 1949, the fear that the Soviet Union could completely engulf the war-ruined Europe was so great that twelve countries came together effectively to unite their militaries in the event the USSR continued marching West. Over time, many other nations joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, and today 28 nations are active members, even though the Russian threat has largely diminished.
For decades, though, all that stood ready to repulse the military might of the Soviet Union were these countries; with American, Canadian, and British influence, those militaries went from slightly better equipped police forces to full-fledged highly skilled professional armies, with some of the latest weapons and hardware.
Well thank God the USSR fell for it, because NATO is not doing very well at all.
Imagine, if you will, going back in time to talk to, say, President Eisenhower. Among other things he would ask, he would probably enquire how NATO was doing in 2011.
– They are engaged against a desert country, vastly underpopulated, with precious few resources outside of oil.
– We are using our latest hardware and training against them, including robot bombs and unmanned drones.
– We arent even facing a strong military, but the remnants of a national guard loyal to a transvestite senior citizen.
– Due to a 30-year-or-so embargo, they are fighting us with outdated equipment and bad ammunition.
– The enemy is using purely conventional military tactics against NATO.
– We are not even sure whether the rebels we are assisting are on our side.
– We know exactly where the transvestite is, but seem to be unable to hit him or the golf cart he whirrs around in.
– We have, unfortunately, managed to kill a sick number of innocent peoplewho are the only people we know we can trust, who really did need some help, and who are exactly where we know them to be.
– NATO is under the impression that the UN has asked them to do this, even though no clear directive or authorization occurred, and the US has no approval from Congress to do so.
– The conflict has gone on for weeks, with no end in sight.
Can you imagine if the Soviets had attempted to roll forward into West Germany or Austria? What on earth would things have been like?
On the other hand, NATO fans might respond by saying Yes, well the Americans are playing a secondary role. And now you see how the Canadian and European forces, living off the American war teat for so long, long ago lost the ability to fight for themselves. NATO has always been the American military and friendslike the Supremes were really Diana Ross and two other girls.
Poor Ike would be stunned.
Божію Поспѣшествующею Милостію Мы, Дима Грозный Императоръ и Самодержецъ Всероссiйскiй, цѣсарь Московскiй. The Czar was born in the steppes of Russia in 1267, and was cheated out of total control of all Russia upon the death of Boris Mikhailovich, who replaced Alexander Yaroslav Nevsky in 1263. However, in 1283, our Czar was passed over due to a clerical error and the rule of all Russia went to his second cousin Daniil (Даниил Александрович), whom Czar still resents. As a half-hearted apology, the Czar was awarded control over Muscovy, inconveniently located 5,000 miles away just outside Chicago. He now spends his time seething about this and writing about other stuff that bothers him.