A follower on Twitter asked for this recipe – it’s really tasty. We’ve made it a few times, once for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit.
3 tbl unsalted butter
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
4 medium-sized leeks, rinsed, dried, and thinly sliced
1½ cups grated Havarti cheese
2 packages (5 oz each) Boursin with herbs, crumbled
1½ cups grated Gruyère cheese
½ cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease an 8-cup baking dish (butter works best, cooking spray is ok)
- Combine all three types of onions together in a large bowl
- Create a layer with a third of the mixed onions at the bottom of the dish, season with salt and pepper. Top onions with the Havarti cheese. Add another layer of a third of the mixed onions and season. Top with the Boursin cheese. Add a third layer with the remaining onions and season them. Top the final layer with the Gruyère cheese.
- Cut small pats of butter and place around the top of the casserole. Pour wine over the whole mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour – if the top gets too brown, cover with aluminum foil.