Gormogon Operative 24601 [code-name SVETLANA MONSOON] writes in about the latest cause célèbre in bunched-panties liberaldom. Yes, not since Tom Monaghan ran Domino’s Pizza and had the effrontery to give money to right-to-life causes has there been an opportunity to throw a hissy fit over food.
Backing up, Whole Foods CEO John Mackey wrote a common-sensical op-ed in the WSJ the other day. Read the whole thing here, it’s good, but to sum up:
While we clearly need health-care reform, the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us much closer to a government takeover of our health-care system. Instead, we should be trying to achieve reforms by moving in the opposite direction—toward less government control and more individual empowerment. Here are eight reforms that would greatly lower the cost of health care for everyone:
- Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits.
- Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines.
- Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover.
- Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.
- Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost.
- Enact Medicare reform.
- Finally, revise tax forms to make it easier for individuals to make a voluntary, tax-deductible donation to help the millions of people who have no insurance and aren’t covered by Medicare, Medicaid or the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.
Ok, you say, that’s a pretty anodyne and sensible way to get health-care costs under control. Neat idea, and the further examples he provides of his company’s lower their costs are also interesting and persuasive. So what’s the problem?
So what happens? A bunch of White People become unglued that Mackey has committed lèse-Obamasté and now want to burn the heretic. Although undocumented at the site above, White People love boycotts. It’s consumerist identity-marking with a conscience!
One hopes that Rocket Rod Dreher’s “Crunchy Con” legions (ahem) will rally to the flag and stop by the Whole Foods to drop a few bucks on their way to their hand-watered-free-range-quinoa co-op.
As is proper, the last word goes to SVETLANA MONSOON:
Unbelievable! Liberals are up in arms about his personal stance on national healthcare. He’s clearly shown he cares about the issue by offering viable alternatives to the problem (which don’t involve handing over virtually unlimited power to the government), he admonishes Americans to live healthier lives, and he takes exceptional care of his own employees. I just don’t get it! HERE BIG GUBMINT! TAKE CARE OF ME. I TRUST ONLY YOUUUUUU! ::HANDS OVER MONEY:: 🙂 That’s about what it boils down to.